Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Let's Go to Ethiopia!

Friends,
I can't believe that it is already time for me to go to Ethiopia. I take off early tomorrow morning (July 5). This summer has flown by as I have spent time with friends and family spread throughout Tennessee, Georgia and Ohio. I also have been working on my summer semester of school, and preparing for this trip. Because I am going to Ethiopia for academic reasons, it has been a much different process getting things in line. 

Let me give you snapshot of what I will be doing:

While I am in Ethiopia I will be visiting the organization Selamta Family Project. Selamta is an incredible organization that is working to end the orphan crisis through family preservation and unique alternative care solutions. Selamta works through both prevention and restoration by empowering families that are at risk of breaking apart, and recreating new, forever families. These families are created by pairing 8-10 orphaned children with a Selamta mother and integrated into the community.
"Selamta acts on the conviction that every child deserves to grow up in a loving, stable family. We believe it’s possible to end the global orphan crisis by implementing in-country, family-based, community integrated solutions focused on prevention and restoration of vulnerable children and families through intentional relationships with one child, one family at a time." (Selamta's Theory of Change)

 There is tons of helpful information about this organization on their website. Click here.  

Because the thesis of my program is on alternative orphan care solutions, I will be visiting Selamta to research their model and the elements that go into their work. This qualitative research will be done mainly through interviews and observations. Ultimately, this information will be used for my thesis and to help Selamta know how to share their model with other growing organizations. 

While there, they will be having an English learning summer camp, led by a couple US volunteers. I am sure I will help in this camp, or join along for fun.

Though I do not know many of the details of my schedule, I do know that I will be spending time with the families and children. My main objective is love and to learn. 30 days of opening myself up to soak in all Ethiopia has for me.

I am excited and nervous.

After many many months of reading, researching, theorizing and thinking, I have nervous energy bottled up, ready to get on the field to learn hands on and do something with all of this information. However, I am well aware of the reality that awaits me. Entering into broken (and redemptive) stories and facing the reality of this orphan crisis. I have a feeling that God is going to reshape some of my heart through this process.


Would you pray that I would make great connections, be open to learn and have productive interviews. Please also pray for transition and culture shock (and jet lag). Strength and endurance as I do school alongside my research.

Thank you!!

Now that you know a bit more of why I'm going, let's go.
Ready for take off. 


No comments:

Post a Comment