Sunday, August 19, 2018

Human-beings

Today I was reflecting on my time in Ethiopia and how it has shaped some of my thinking.
I was thinking about the kind, gentle, hospitable hearts of the Ethiopians. Ethiopia is like many other African countries in that they work as a collectivist culture. That is, they valued the "we" over the "I". It is because of this they often hold relationships over tasks. Their greetings are longer but more intentional. They care for one another and spend a lot of time sitting with a cup of coffee. It may be partly because I was not in a full time job, or life in Ethiopia, but this slower pace of life is something that I find refreshing being in these other cultures. It allows for a change in perspective - of the world, and of yourself. My time was filled with space to just be.

I recently heard Brian Heerwagen share on a podcast that we are human-beings, not human-doings. 

We are meant to get our worth from who we are, not what we do. Of course our actions are important (because they have the potential for good or for evil), but our relationships are even more significant.

It is how we are known.

Likewise, as Christians, it is not what we do but the relationship with the Lord that we have. Again, what we do matters but we cannot lose sight of who we are in Christ.

This thought intersects with the deep realization that we need one another. It is not a new thought. It is something that continually surfaces in my life, but I am finding new pieces of recently. Living in a culture that is more individualistic doesn't cater to natural connection where there is space to just be. There is the pressure to do more, and do better. As I have been living in a more isolated season of life, I am reminded how important close community is. I grieve for those who have not had the richness of loving and being loved. We don't just need each other as helpers and fun play mates, but we need each other, on a spiritual, emotional, visceral level. God designed us for relationship, and for community. That is why at the core of every human there is this desire for connection and belonging. I see it in my friends, I see it in the face of the woman sitting on the street corner, and I see it in the orphans eyes.

Recently Selamta added spiritual development to the core of their model. When talking with some of the leaders of the organization, they told me that they have shifted their questions for the kids from not "what do you want to do when you grow up?", but "who do you want to be?".

What a huge shift in perspective.

I was challenged with this thought of, who do I want to be? Who do I want to know as? Not, what do I want to be known for? My activities and achievements will come and go, but at the end of the day, what remains?

What if this is how we view others, and what we ask of them? Who do you want to be?

So I ask you today, not what are you doing, but who are becoming? What relationships have you invested in and who are you in Christ? Is there enough space in your life to just be? If not, what fears or pressures are preventing you from doing so?

No comments:

Post a Comment